Procurement of Crops from Backward and Tribal Areas
NEW DELHI: The Central Government has taken a number of steps for providing remunerative prices to farmers including backward and tribal areas for their crops which are as follows:-
- Keeping in view the procurement potential areas, procurement centres for MSP operations are opened by Government agencies, both FCI and State Government, after mutual consultations.
- Farmers are made aware of the MSP operations by way of advertisements like displaying banners, pamphlets, announcement for MSP and specification in print and electronic media.
- Payment for the wheat and paddy procured from farmers is either made directly to the farmers or through arthias/co-operative societies as per prevailing system of the State. Payment to farmers are also made through A/c payee cheque/electronic mode. Even in respect of paddy purchased by millers, GOI has already advised State Government to ensure payment to farmers by millers/Pvt traders through A/c payee cheque so that trail of payment can be made while issuing MSP certificate to millers for delivery of levy rice to State Government /FCI.
- State Governments are encouraged to undertake decentralized procurement, so as to enhance the procurement of food grains.
- MSP has been enhanced from time to time to encourage delivery of foodgrains into central pool purchase.
This information was given by the Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Ram Vilas Paswan in a written reply in Rajya Sabha on Friday.